Looking for an easy dessert to make for an upcoming picnic? This delicious recipe is for you!
I happened to make this recipe 5 years ago for a friends BBQ Memorial Day weekend. Who doesn’t love the combination of apples, cinnamon, and caramel? It was an instant hit and everyone loved it! The best part? It was simple to make!
- 3 TBSP butter
- 4 cups tart green apples, chopped and peeled (about 5 medium)
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp. apple pie spice, divided
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1 jar (12-1/4 oz) caramel ice cream topping, divided
- 1 tub (12 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 2 loaves (10-3/4 oz each) frozen pound cake, thawed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Additional Apple Pie Spice, optional
- In large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in the apples, walnuts, brown sugar, and ½ tsp. apple pie spice.
- Cook and stir for 8-10 minutes or until apples are tender.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Beat in ½ cup caramel topping and remaining apple pie spice.
- Fold in 2 cups whipped topping.
- In a 3-1/2 qt. trifle bowl or glass serving bowl, layer a third of the cake cubes, cream cheese mixture and apple mixture.
- Repeat layers twice. Garnish with remaining whipped topping and drizzle with remaining caramel topping.
- Sprinkle with additional apple pie spice, if desired.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Tip #1: Don’t have apple pie spice? For 1 tsp = substitute 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon plus 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg, 1/8 tsp. ground allspice, and a dash ground cloves or ginger.
Tip #2: Don’t have time to make the apple filling portion and looking for a shortcut? Use a large can of apple pie filling in place of the apples, brown sugar, and 1/2 tsp. apple pie spice.
Tip #3: This would be a great recipe to make in the Fall during the Apple season.
Like me on Facebook: Sweet Dash of Sass CLICK LINK —> Sweet Dash of Sass
Follow me on Instagram @SweetDashofSass
Follow me on Twitter @SweetDashofSass