This dessert is insanely delicious!!! One bite and you will wonder where this recipe has been your whole life! Or at least that is what I thought (and maybe my husband)…haha. If you are a fan of pumpkin pie or pumpkin cake – you will love this dessert. And surprisingly, it’s even somewhat “healthy” as far as a dessert can go. No oil, butter, or egg within the cake portion! This cake tastes even better the day after made.
- 1 box (15.25 oz) Yellow Cake Mix (recommended: Pillsbury brand)
- 2¼ cups canned pumpkin (18-20 oz)
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 can (14 oz) fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tub (8oz) fat-free or lite Cool Whip, thawed
- 2 Heath Bars, crushed in a food processor (or ¼ cup Heath bits)
- Pre-heat oven 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9 x 9 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix together box of cake mix (do not follow directions on the box), canned pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon until batter forms.
- Pour batter (evenly spread) into prepared baking dish.
- Bake 35 – 45 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely after baking.
- Using the bottom of a wooden spoon, poke holes all over top of cake. Be sure to poke all the way to the bottom of the pan.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the cake. Be sure to fill in all the holes. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until the condensed milk has soaked into the cake.
- Using a large spreader, spread Cool Whip over top of Cake.
- Sprinkle cake with Heath bits. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours, or overnight.
Tip #1: Don’t have pumpkin pie spice? 1 tsp substitute = 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon plus 1/4 tsp. ground ginger, 1/4 tsp. ground cloves or allspice, and 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg.
Tip #2: WHAT IS A LARGE SPREADER? Its a baking tool that has an ergonomic handle, which is easy on your hand. The long offset blade (6 1/4″ stainless steel blade) makes it easier to frost cakes and evenly spread ricotta cheese over lasagna noodles. It also can be used to help lift cake layers or transferring cookies. Dishwasher safe! Recommended Brand: Pampered Chef, cost $10.
Tip #3: Store cake covered with foil in refrigerator.