If you love fresh or frozen pierogies and looking for a new spin on your chicken or beef stew recipe, this recipe is for you! So easy and the best part — you can cook it in under 30 minutes!
I have been making this recipe for several years now. It’s been a huge favorite with all my family, especially with my husband. Plus, you can easily switch this chicken version to a beef one! See tips below for what to swap.
So, what is a pierogi? It’s made of a thinly rolled dough with various fillings. The fillings can range from vegetarian, meat, or even sweet dessert! My favorite way of eating pierogies is sautéing them in a pan with a little butter.
If you haven’t had the pleasure of trying freshly made pierogies vs. frozen, I highly recommend seeking out to find. There is a huge difference and they are amazing. My favorite place for pierogies is back in my hometown of Cleveland at the West Side Market called Pierogi Palace (Stand E-5). They have hundreds of flavors to choose from.
Here is just a partial listing of some their flavors:
Check out the short video below for those of you that never been to Cleveland or the West Side Market!
HOPE YOU ENJOY!
- 1 lb. chicken breast or tenderloins, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 – ½ cups of carrots, sliced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- ¼ teaspoon thyme (optional)
- ⅔ cup chicken broth
- 1 (16 oz) package frozen pierogies – roughly 12 pierogies — I always use Potato/Cheddar flavor!
- 2 (12 oz) jars of chicken gravy — (I used Heinz Homestyle Classic Chicken Gravy)
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, heat 1 TBSP of oil over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle chicken with a good pinch of kosher salt and pepper.
- Brown chicken on both sides; remove to a plate.
- Add remaining 1 TBSP oil; stir in carrots, onion and celery.
- Cook and stir until vegetables are barely tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Return chicken to pan. Add thyme and chicken broth.
- Simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender and chicken is fully cooked, about 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pierogies in boiling water for 5 minutes, drain.
- Stir in chicken gravy into the vegetable mixture.
- Stir in pierogies.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with your favorite dinner rolls or bread. I love having crescent rolls or a good loaf of Dutch Crunch bread with butter.
Tip #1: You can easily make this with Beef instead! I have done this version several times myself.
Swap / Add the following in the beef version :
Chicken pieces for beef stew chunks, just dust beef cubes in flour, salt, pepper before browning in oil.
- Chicken broth for beef broth
- Chicken gravy for beef gravy
- Increase cooking time in broth by another 10 minutes, this will help the beef fall apart and be more tender
- Add a can of green beans when you add the pierogies to the vegetable mixture
Like me on Facebook: Sweet Dash of Sass CLICK LINK —> Sweet Dash of Sass
Follow me on Instagram @SweetDashofSass
Follow me on Twitter @SweetDashofSass