In my Farm Fresh to You box this past week I received apples, zucchini, and carrots. I originally had other plans for these items, but decided to try out a new recipe. I’m so glad I did, because this bread was super delicious and moist! You might even be able to fool a few people who typically don’t care for zucchini or carrots.
Plus, I was able to use some more of the macadamia nuts that I purchased while in Hawaii! Mmm Mmm Good!
Some Fun Facts Regarding Zucchini:
- Zucchinis contain 95% water; One zucchini has just 25 calories.
- The flower of the zucchini plant is also edible. Fried squash blossoms are considered a delicacy.
- According to World’s Healthiest Foods Nutrition info, nutrients and vitamins found in zucchini can help prevent cancer and heart disease.
- Bigger is not necessarily better. Small to medium sized zucchinis are the most flavorful and the darker the skin, the richer the nutrients.
- Zucchini is fat free, cholesterol free, low in sodium, rich in manganese and vitamin C and has more potassium than a banana.
- Zucchinis were first brought to the United States in the 1920s by the Italians.
- Zucchini bread is one of the most popular ways to use zucchini.
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- the juice of 1 large orange
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- pinch of ground cloves
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (unpeeled)
- 1 cup diced, peeled apple (2 medium apples)
- ½ cup pecans or macadamia nuts, chopped (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2-8×4 inch loaf pans.
- Mix together butter, sugar, egg, orange juice, and vanilla. Combine flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg together. Fold dry ingredients into wet.
- Add apple, carrots, and zucchini. Pour into prepared pans. Bake for about an hour, until golden brown.
- After about 25-30 minutes into baking, I sprinkled macadamia nuts on top and placed back into oven to bake the remaining time.
- Toothpick should come out clean.
Tip #1: If you prefer to have nuts within your loaves, add 1/2 cups of pecans in batter at the same time as the apples, carrots, and zucchini.
Tip #2: Want to freeze one of the loaves? After loaf has completely cooled, wrap in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. You can freeze up to 3 months. Just make sure to thaw at least 3 hours on the counter a day before serving!
Like me on Facebook: Sweet Dash of Sass CLICK LINK —> Sweet Dash of Sass
Follow me on Instagram @SweetDashofSass
Follow me on Twitter @SweetDashofSass