Day 21 – Christmas Cookie Style
If you have never seen or heard of Speculoos Cookie Butter. You definitely have to check it out at Trader Joe’s. It’s basically crushed up cookies into a paste, that’s spreadable like peanut butter. It’s great on ice cream or even on it’s own. Last year, I happened to make Speculoos Chocolate Chip Cookies. They were so good. I highly recommend trying these. See photo towards the end of post that will link directly back to the recipe.
Later on this year, I noticed that Trader Joe’s came out with a new jar of Speculoos that mixed their traditional Speculoos Cookie Butter and Cocoa swirled together in a jar. The cocoa portion is similar to a Nutella.
I decided to attempt a new cookie recipe using this new spread this year! I ended up making a few different varieties – some with chocolate chips, some with butterscotch and a few with a combination. I preferred the butterscotch and my husband preferred the chocolate chip version. So you can really alter the recipe however you prefer!
As a reminder, all the posts I will be using the hashtag #25DaysCookieStyle. If you happen to make any of the cookie recipes, tag me on social media and use this hashtag. I’d love to see all of your holiday baking photos from your home!
- ¼ cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup Speculoos Cookie Butter & Cocoa (found near the Peanut Butter section at Trader Joe’s)
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Handful of butterscotch / milk chocolate chips (optional) — to place on top of cookie dough prior to baking
- Pre-heat oven to 350. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a mixer, beat butter, brown sugar, sugar, and vanilla until creamy. Add Speculoos Cookie Butter and Cocoa and mix until smooth. Add egg and mix well.
- Add cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Mix. Gradually add in flour and mix just until combined. Add 2 tablespoons milk and mix.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop out tablespoonful balls onto prepared baking sheets – leaving about 2 inches in between cookies.
- Press a few chocolate chips and / or butterscotch chips to top of each dough ball. Bake 12-14 minutes.
- Cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
Tip #1: The Speculoos Cookie and Cocoa Swirl spread can be found at Trader Joe’s.
Like me on Facebook: Sweet Dash of Sass CLICK LINK —> Sweet Dash of Sass
Follow me on Instagram @SweetDashofSass
Follow me on Twitter @SweetDashofSass